Skip to main content

Cornered (Gods of Mist and Mayhem) Review

 



Book Source: Book Siren
Cross-post Review: Chantie's Goodreads Review
Spice Radar: 2 out of 10 (1 means little or no spice; 10 expreme spice)
A part of a series: Yes
Genre: Dark Romance

Cornered (Gods of Mist and Mayhem) has profanities. Which is expected from a Dark Romance Novella. Though there is no sex scenes, it displays a essence of such. I got the impression that it will get spicier as the series progresses. With that said, get your paper and pen or your kindle and let's jump into the review. 


Cornered (Gods of Mist and Mayhem) Review

 Jade is the protagonist of this novella Gods of Mist and Mayhem. Cornered was written by Chani Lynn Feener and the first in a its series. Being chased by her grandfather’s men, Jade and her friend Amelia fell through a puddle and landed in another world. When they say ‘out of the frying pot and into the fire’ they had this book in mind. Jade’s struggle with men became prominent as the story progressed. First it was her grandfather's opinions of who she should be. Then, it was his men's ideas of where she belonged. After which the Gods came into play. Jade's journey from the first line had been a battle. One filled with pain and both physical and emotional scars. 

The fast pace of the story pulled me into its dept. Each incident reeled me in more. The author, Chani Lynn Feener, did an excellent job in keeping me interested until the very end. The fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat. I could understand every attack. It was a fantastic addition to the scenes. How could I not mention the cliffhanger ending? It convinced me to read book two Captured.

The ending left me wanting more. At first, I could not believe it was over and wished there was more to it. I felt as if it ended in the middle of the good part, just when I was settling in the story. Thank God Captured and Command the second and third book in the Gods of Mist and Mayhem Series is available to purchase. Both is available on Goodreads. This was one of reason that compelled me to read Cornered. There was no wait time. The series was out and available for purchase. A win in my opinion. 


Opinions 

There were a few things I picked up on. The dialogue: “How did they find us so fast?!” in chapter one had two punctuation marks at the end. Is this a thing these days? The last time I checked, two punctuations at the end of a sentence was grammatically incorrect. This was what I learnt in school. However, I have been seeing more people using two. When did they change the rules? Anyone can enlighten me on this?

Anyway, I would have stuck with one. The question mark would have been fine. Jade’s description of the incident relayed to me that she shouted those words. The added exclamation sign was not needed. Some of the run-on sentences could be cut to make shorter concise sentences. Eg. With these phrases: ‘The two of them were only five or so years apart. Even though he was older, she was at a higher skill level.’ Instead of making this one sentence, I broke it up into two smaller sentences. There were also some instances where adverbs could be cut. Like in the sentence where it stated, ‘It covered his lower half, but left the bare flesh of his chest practically on full display.’ This could have been written as ‘It covered his lower half, leaving his chest on display.’ Or ‘It covered his lower half but left his bare chest on display.’

Those few minor catches never hindered me from devouring the novella. It caught me from the first chapter and held me down until the very last word. It had been a while since a novella kept me this hooked. Nothing else held me back from rating Cornered (Gods of Mist and Mayhem) four of five stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes not to be tied down by family expectations. Life is hard as it is. Sometimes we want to be happy with making our own decisions, not by what everyone else wants us to be. Jade is a prime example of choosing to say ‘No, my life is mine’.

The series can be purchased on Goodreads and Amazon. 



Gods of Mist and Mayhem Series

  • Cornered (Gods of Mist and Mayhem #1)
  • Captured (Gods of Mist and Mayhem #2)
  • Command (Gods of Mist and Mayhem #3)
  • Obsession (Gods of Mist and Mayhem #4)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review

  Book Source: Book Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type of Book: Standalone Series  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 Spice Rating: 🌶🌶/5 Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review 'You're mine.' Who doesn't love this quote when in an omegaverse?  To kick off Rainbow Month, I picked up this short read. And it was the best fit for me who just came out of a reading slump. The chapters were short and easy to read, too. Weston and Adam were fox shifters, going into their burrowing season. For those who have no idea what that means. It's like a mating period for foxes where they spend a certain amount of time together without distractions from the outside world. In the end, it should help them bond.  Anyways, knowing nothing about the other, these men dove into the burrowing, hoping their partner would accept them. I almost had to visit the dentist after this one. Adam was one of the most caring and sweetest alpha foxes in the world of shifters. He was ...

The First and the Last Review

  Book Source: Kindle Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Spice Radar: 🌶🌶🌶/5 Type: Series Genre: MM Romance  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 I was in desperate need of a quick read. This book came to my rescue along with Str8te Guys by Evangeline Anderson. Loved that erotica by the way. Also a MM Romance. I was more than happy I stumbled on these two books. Read them in one night. Yeah, one night. Who needs sleep when we have a book, right? The First and the Last Review  The first and the Last was a MM Romance by Jessi H Reign. A friends-to-lovers omegaverse. The paranormal romance began with the growth of Sully and Jules from their high school years until they became shifters. The two saw each other as best friends until a Storm flew through their pack. Okay, not an actual storm but a woman called Storm. A mind-blowing threesome and the males realized they liked the experience of each naked a little too much.  I hoped that wasn't a spoiler. But, I th...

Pretty Little Thief Review

Book Source: Store Cross-post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type: On-going Series Starred Rating: ⭐⭐/5 Smut Rating: 🌶/5 Pretty Little Thief Review What the heck did I just read? This is the book of the month for my book club. A lot of those who read it raved that it was awesome. I thought ‘why not go for it?’ Boy, had I wished I didn’t. The protagonist, Princess Robyn---because all royals except the Mother Queen’s name starts with an R---was thrust into chaos---something we could see coming from a mile away---when her father died, and her brother took the crown.  While reading this story, I was stuck between being bored and annoyed. First and foremost, I blame the King and Queen for what the female protagonist faced. They failed as parents. How the hell would you have a parent whom you knew was a manipulative witch and entrusted her with your child? What kind of monster does something like that? If I know my mom is a bitch, I’m not going to want to leave my kid with her...