Skip to main content

Under Loch and Key: Captured by the Lake Monster Review

 



Book Source: Book Siren
Cross-Post Review: Chantie's Goodread Review
Spice Radar: 8 out of 10 (1 means little to no smut; 10 means extreme smut)
A part of a Series: No
Genre: Erotic Paranormal Romance 

Under Loch and Key is a erotic novella. The type of novella with the right amount of smut with a plot line. The type to keep the reader interested until the very end. Each characters went through their fare share of struggles. If you are into that sort of thing, then grab your notebook with the TBR list and let's jump into the review. 

Under Loch and Key: Captured by the Lake Monster Review

When I first noticed Under Loch and Key: Bred by the Lake Monster by Carmen Cade, I was a bit intrigued by the term Lovecraftian. It was used as a tag. Never had I seen that word before. Two minutes and several google clicks later, I was fascinated. The tag erotic horror cemented my curiosity, and I was ready to satisfy my fascination. The list of content warnings propelled me to read the story.

For those oblivious of the term Lovecraftian, it stems from the American author H.P. Lovecraft writing. A subgenre of horror fiction and weird fiction. It involves the mythology of supernatural creatures and extraterrestrial elements. It explores beyond human phenomenon and comprehension. 

From the pictures on the net, it reminds me of the creatures in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.

Back to the review. Lillian and Erik were the two protagonists of this erotic novella. Lillian and her best friend Tiffany visited the cabin they often did when they were younger. However, with this visit, Tiffany was no longer single. The complicated yet simple fact thrust the friends further apart. In all the chaos between two friends, Lillian met the hot Viking of a man, Erik. Their meeting could be described as ‘lust at first sight’. The interaction after got steamy. Lust poured out of the pages. Sexual acts twisted with new dreams and possibilities decorated the story.

I was a bit shocked to know this was Carmen’s first book. She did a wonderful job. I enjoyed Lillian and Erik’s story. The message embedded in their journey stayed with me. Some relationships have an end road. Others lasted longer. No dream couldn’t be accomplished regardless of the time passed. One thing, though, I wished Carmen had enlightened me on how Lillian and Tiffany’s relationship turned out. Did it end on the beach, or did they make up after? What about the monster? Did Lillian and Eric live close to its island? Did Lillian return to her home, or did they live elsewhere? 

I thought if she had included what happened with Tiffany, it would have cemented the theme I noticed in the first chapter. Either way, I loved the book. It was short and spicy with a large pepper. I rated Under Loch and Key: Bred by the Lake Monster four out of five stars. It would be my pleasure to recommend this erotic story to anyone who craves something different. Something new. If you believe the changes we never thought we needed came in the most unexpected times, then this story is for you. Sometimes when one door closes another open. 

Word of advice to the potential readers, don’t be frightened by the content warnings. The book is civil yet amazing in an unorthodox kind of way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review

  Book Source: Book Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type of Book: Standalone Series  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 Spice Rating: 🌶🌶/5 Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review 'You're mine.' Who doesn't love this quote when in an omegaverse?  To kick off Rainbow Month, I picked up this short read. And it was the best fit for me who just came out of a reading slump. The chapters were short and easy to read, too. Weston and Adam were fox shifters, going into their burrowing season. For those who have no idea what that means. It's like a mating period for foxes where they spend a certain amount of time together without distractions from the outside world. In the end, it should help them bond.  Anyways, knowing nothing about the other, these men dove into the burrowing, hoping their partner would accept them. I almost had to visit the dentist after this one. Adam was one of the most caring and sweetest alpha foxes in the world of shifters. He was ...

The First and the Last Review

  Book Source: Kindle Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Spice Radar: 🌶🌶🌶/5 Type: Series Genre: MM Romance  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 I was in desperate need of a quick read. This book came to my rescue along with Str8te Guys by Evangeline Anderson. Loved that erotica by the way. Also a MM Romance. I was more than happy I stumbled on these two books. Read them in one night. Yeah, one night. Who needs sleep when we have a book, right? The First and the Last Review  The first and the Last was a MM Romance by Jessi H Reign. A friends-to-lovers omegaverse. The paranormal romance began with the growth of Sully and Jules from their high school years until they became shifters. The two saw each other as best friends until a Storm flew through their pack. Okay, not an actual storm but a woman called Storm. A mind-blowing threesome and the males realized they liked the experience of each naked a little too much.  I hoped that wasn't a spoiler. But, I th...

Pretty Little Thief Review

Book Source: Store Cross-post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type: On-going Series Starred Rating: ⭐⭐/5 Smut Rating: 🌶/5 Pretty Little Thief Review What the heck did I just read? This is the book of the month for my book club. A lot of those who read it raved that it was awesome. I thought ‘why not go for it?’ Boy, had I wished I didn’t. The protagonist, Princess Robyn---because all royals except the Mother Queen’s name starts with an R---was thrust into chaos---something we could see coming from a mile away---when her father died, and her brother took the crown.  While reading this story, I was stuck between being bored and annoyed. First and foremost, I blame the King and Queen for what the female protagonist faced. They failed as parents. How the hell would you have a parent whom you knew was a manipulative witch and entrusted her with your child? What kind of monster does something like that? If I know my mom is a bitch, I’m not going to want to leave my kid with her...