Skip to main content

Step Bully Review

 


Book Source: Kindle
Cross-Post Review: Chantie's Goodreads Review
Type: MM Romance / Standalone
Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐/5
Smut Rating: 🌶🌶🌶🌶/5


Step Bully by Willow Dixon Review 


When I learned Julian was called Jules, I immediately thought of Jules from Euphoria. Despite the book's description of Jules’s character, I couldn’t stop picturing him as Euphoria Jules. Which was funny because they were nothing alike.

Jules and Ash were stepbrothers, who hated each other because of the situation they were forced into. By God, I hated their parents. Even to the end. I was like ‘flip them the middle finger and move the heck on’ but to my dismay, they didn’t. Which kind of pissed me off. Gosh, I am a monster.

Anywhos, the boys were thrust into sharing an apartment for their senior year of college. This was where the lines got blurred. I loved the bantering. It was amazing to read. Then other things came in and I was not liking them. At parts where I should have shown sympathy or empathy, I didn’t. Maybe it’s because I’m a monster in the making but the emotional connection never hit me. I couldn’t help but cringe at other moments. This annoyed me a bit because the book started off so great.

The chemistry between the two was off the charts. I loved that the couple was able to sit down or in their case hang out and clear the air about their feelings and how the situation back at home affected them. Willow Dixon did a freaking great job of showing me what actual progress looked like. Communication is the key to every successful relationship, and I loved how it was portrayed here. Even if it was a bit cringy at times.

Then, there was the nickname calling. Like Jesus, if I were a guy and another man called me ‘kitten’ I would run the other way. Maybe I’d give him a good ole’ beat down first---even if I can’t fight. Like one of those hit-and-run scenarios. I would give him a coward hit and run off because it’s just… I don’t even know---not fitting the character or the book. There were so many nicknames we could have come up with. Why didn’t we choose one of those? I don’t know, something original. I pitted Jules every time the word ‘kitten’ came into play. If only characters could come to life. I’m sure they would have disliked some of their creators.

Either way, Step Bully had mild bullying---in my eyes---and was more of a steamy romance. Yes, it took place in a college setting. There was romance. The cute kind. Steamy as hell. So, if you are interested in the enemies-to-lovers trope, then this one is a good read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review

  Book Source: Book Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type of Book: Standalone Series  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 Spice Rating: 🌶🌶/5 Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review 'You're mine.' Who doesn't love this quote when in an omegaverse?  To kick off Rainbow Month, I picked up this short read. And it was the best fit for me who just came out of a reading slump. The chapters were short and easy to read, too. Weston and Adam were fox shifters, going into their burrowing season. For those who have no idea what that means. It's like a mating period for foxes where they spend a certain amount of time together without distractions from the outside world. In the end, it should help them bond.  Anyways, knowing nothing about the other, these men dove into the burrowing, hoping their partner would accept them. I almost had to visit the dentist after this one. Adam was one of the most caring and sweetest alpha foxes in the world of shifters. He was ...

The First and the Last Review

  Book Source: Kindle Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Spice Radar: 🌶🌶🌶/5 Type: Series Genre: MM Romance  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 I was in desperate need of a quick read. This book came to my rescue along with Str8te Guys by Evangeline Anderson. Loved that erotica by the way. Also a MM Romance. I was more than happy I stumbled on these two books. Read them in one night. Yeah, one night. Who needs sleep when we have a book, right? The First and the Last Review  The first and the Last was a MM Romance by Jessi H Reign. A friends-to-lovers omegaverse. The paranormal romance began with the growth of Sully and Jules from their high school years until they became shifters. The two saw each other as best friends until a Storm flew through their pack. Okay, not an actual storm but a woman called Storm. A mind-blowing threesome and the males realized they liked the experience of each naked a little too much.  I hoped that wasn't a spoiler. But, I th...

Pretty Little Thief Review

Book Source: Store Cross-post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type: On-going Series Starred Rating: ⭐⭐/5 Smut Rating: 🌶/5 Pretty Little Thief Review What the heck did I just read? This is the book of the month for my book club. A lot of those who read it raved that it was awesome. I thought ‘why not go for it?’ Boy, had I wished I didn’t. The protagonist, Princess Robyn---because all royals except the Mother Queen’s name starts with an R---was thrust into chaos---something we could see coming from a mile away---when her father died, and her brother took the crown.  While reading this story, I was stuck between being bored and annoyed. First and foremost, I blame the King and Queen for what the female protagonist faced. They failed as parents. How the hell would you have a parent whom you knew was a manipulative witch and entrusted her with your child? What kind of monster does something like that? If I know my mom is a bitch, I’m not going to want to leave my kid with her...