Skip to main content

Venom and Lace (Venom, #1)

 


Book Source: BookSiren (Arc Read)
Cross-post Review: Chantie's Goodreads Review
Type: Ongoing Series
Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐/5
Smut Rating: 🌶/5


Venom and Lace (Venom, #1) Review


Never have I been frustrated with a book like this one. Venom and Lace is the first book in the Venom series. A billionaire romance with a bit of darkness to it. We got everything from Nora’s point of view. She was blackmailed into being the fake fiancé of a money-hungered billionaire. A total manipulative dick. And for some reason, the protagonist never noticed this. Like what the heck! 

First off, the so-called best friend was not a true best friend. What friend would convince their friend to sign a contract with a guy that threatened her? None worthy of being called a friend. Then the friend had the audacity to ghost her after shit hit the fence. Who the fudge does that? This one, apparently. This was the first thing that irritated me, but I let it slide and continued. 

When the book started, I was excited. The female lead was portrayed as strong, and I loved that. Her witty personality swept me away. Then somewhere along the line, she lost it. I get it. She had a goal. Fear and misbelief played a vital part in her decisions. But for heaven’s sake, why did it have to drastically change her? I had liked her so much and then she went rogue. And that damn so-called best friend did not help in the situation. I got so frustrated that when the cliffhanger happened, I was like ‘yes, this is what happens when you’re a fool’. That was just an evil thing to say but I craved for her to feel some sort of pain as punishment for having no brain cells. 

Enough of that. I was a bit iffy when the female lead explained the billionaire’s drastic change of character---because it was drastic. It was a bit of a surprise because the first few chapters before the contract never showed me that. He was mysterious and asshole-ish not cute and sweet. It would have been better if the author had shown me why she thought he was sweet instead of having Nova tell me. I would have perceived it better and maybe would have been blinded by his charm like everyone else. Maybe then, I wouldn’t have been as frustrated as I was. 

Even so, I enjoyed the little mystery in everything. The former chapters between the female lead and Cian were great. Maybe because of the banter but it had me excited. Because gosh, I liked that guy. Even when he was portrayed as the bad guy. Yeah, I have a serious problem. Bad guys aren’t supposed to be hot. Either way, I loved him. Will I be reading book two? Yes, even though I was tempted to give this a one-star, I liked a few things---hated a lot more---but it was a good read. I hope book two is a lot better and the protagonist improves instead of backsliding into stupidity. A character is supposed to progress nothing else. Was there romance? I would say yes but not the cute kind. 

I got an Advanced Readers Copy from BookSirens and this is my honest review. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review

  Book Source: Book Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type of Book: Standalone Series  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 Spice Rating: 🌶🌶/5 Snuggle Season (Burrowing Hearts, #1) Review 'You're mine.' Who doesn't love this quote when in an omegaverse?  To kick off Rainbow Month, I picked up this short read. And it was the best fit for me who just came out of a reading slump. The chapters were short and easy to read, too. Weston and Adam were fox shifters, going into their burrowing season. For those who have no idea what that means. It's like a mating period for foxes where they spend a certain amount of time together without distractions from the outside world. In the end, it should help them bond.  Anyways, knowing nothing about the other, these men dove into the burrowing, hoping their partner would accept them. I almost had to visit the dentist after this one. Adam was one of the most caring and sweetest alpha foxes in the world of shifters. He was ...

The First and the Last Review

  Book Source: Kindle Store Cross-Post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Spice Radar: 🌶🌶🌶/5 Type: Series Genre: MM Romance  Starred Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 I was in desperate need of a quick read. This book came to my rescue along with Str8te Guys by Evangeline Anderson. Loved that erotica by the way. Also a MM Romance. I was more than happy I stumbled on these two books. Read them in one night. Yeah, one night. Who needs sleep when we have a book, right? The First and the Last Review  The first and the Last was a MM Romance by Jessi H Reign. A friends-to-lovers omegaverse. The paranormal romance began with the growth of Sully and Jules from their high school years until they became shifters. The two saw each other as best friends until a Storm flew through their pack. Okay, not an actual storm but a woman called Storm. A mind-blowing threesome and the males realized they liked the experience of each naked a little too much.  I hoped that wasn't a spoiler. But, I th...

Pretty Little Thief Review

Book Source: Store Cross-post Review:  Chantie's Goodreads Review Type: On-going Series Starred Rating: ⭐⭐/5 Smut Rating: 🌶/5 Pretty Little Thief Review What the heck did I just read? This is the book of the month for my book club. A lot of those who read it raved that it was awesome. I thought ‘why not go for it?’ Boy, had I wished I didn’t. The protagonist, Princess Robyn---because all royals except the Mother Queen’s name starts with an R---was thrust into chaos---something we could see coming from a mile away---when her father died, and her brother took the crown.  While reading this story, I was stuck between being bored and annoyed. First and foremost, I blame the King and Queen for what the female protagonist faced. They failed as parents. How the hell would you have a parent whom you knew was a manipulative witch and entrusted her with your child? What kind of monster does something like that? If I know my mom is a bitch, I’m not going to want to leave my kid with her...